Generally, we use adjectives to describe the different levels about the qualities, nature, and characteristics of nouns whether it is positive or negative, to make them more meaningful.
For this to work accordingly, proper forms of degrees of adjectives whether regular or irregular need to be taken to provide natural meaning.
Rules of positive degree
Let’s see some simple rules of positive degree.
- It is a basic form of degree.
- It is also called non-comparative form.
- Adjectives or adverbs are used to describe positive, as well as negative qualities of nouns.
- It does not require to change the form of adjectives to formulate positive degree.
- When we change comparative or superlative degree into positive, then, it requires comparison.
- Positive degree sentence can be began with either “No other” or “Very few”
- As….as comparison form is necessary.
Some simple examples of positive degree
First of all let’s see simple examples of positive degrees adjectives, and then basic form of examples in sequence.
- Wise, Large, Easy, Wealthy
- Small, Weak, strong, Rich
- Great, Clean, Big– (regular adjectives)
- Good • Bad • Many etc. (irregular adjectives)
Use In The Sentences Without Comparison
These are some basic forms of examples of positive degree without comparison.
- Jonathan is a wise man.
- Himalaya is a large mountain.
- Running is an easy exercise.
- Coral polyps are small organism.
- Warren Buffet is wealthy man.
- Bio-fertilizer is good for foodgrains crops.
Examples with comparison of positive degree
• Very few, No other —
- No other resource on the earth is as important as soil.
- Very few resources on the earth are as important as soil.
- No other forest is as dense as the equatorial forest.
- Very few forests are as dense as equatorial forests.
- No other animal in the desert is as useful as camel.
- Very few animals in the desert are as useful as camel.
- No other fruit in the world is as delicious as Mango.
- Very few fruits in the world are as delicious as Mango.
- No other animal is as carefree as tiger.
- Very few animals are as carefree as tiger.
Here are some more examples of comparative, as well as superlative degrees for the sake of broad overview.
Comparative degree Rules and examples
Some rules of comparative form..
- It is the second level of comparative form between two nouns.
- inversion of subject happen when we change positive degree into comparative form.
- Adverbial is placed at the end of the sentence.
Examples of competitive degree form..
- Soil is more important than any other resources on the earth.
- Soil is more important than most other resources on the earth.
- Equatorial forest is denser than any other forest.
- Equatorial forest is denser than most other forests.
- Camel is more useful than any other animals in the desert.
- Camel is more useful than most other animals in the desert.
- Mango is more delicious than any other fruits in the world.
- Mango is more delicious than most other fruits in the world.
- Tiger is more carefree than any other animals.
- Tiger is more carefree than most other animals
Superlative degree rules and examples
Rules of superlative degree formation..
- It is the highest level of comparative forms.
- It is used to compare between more than two nouns.
- Change in the adjective’s form is essential to compare accordingly.
- Spelling rules are applicable to change the form of adjectives.
- “The” determinant is placed before superlative forms of adjectives and adverbs.
Some useful examples of superlative degree..
- Soil is the most important resource on the earth.
- Soil is one of the most important resources on the earth.
- The equatorial forest is the densest forest.
- The equatorial forest is one of the densest forests.
- Camel is the most useful animal in the desert.
- Camel is one of the most suitable animals in the desert.
- Mango is the most delicious fruit in the world.
- Mango is one of the most delicious fruits in the world.
- Tiger is the most carefree animal.
- Tiger is one of the most carefree animals.
These are some simple examples of positive degrees, comparative, and superlative degrees. Hope, these subject matter will enrich your knowledge and understanding.