Provided that and on condition that are subordinating conjunctions of conditions. They are usually, used to express a condition in which one thing happens only when the other is completed. Let’s see similarities and differences between conjunctions of condition.
Rules for use of conjunctions of condition
These are used for future sense but in simple present form.
- Future tense auxiliary isn’t used to form conditional sentences using both conjunctions.
- Generally, both are placed in middle of the sentence. And, comma is omitted.
- Provided that is mostly preferred to express more than one conditional idea, whereas, on condition that is used to express single condition.
- Compare to “If” conditional conjunction, both are used for more emphasis.
- In the sentence of “If” conjunction, intensity remains less compare to given conjunctions.
- “As long as and so long as” are different in sense compare other conditional conjunctions.
- “As long as and so long as” are preferred to use for condition but with intended duration.
Position in the sentence
These conjunctions of condition are generally placed in the middle of the sentence after main clause.
They are used to introduce depending or subordinating clause. Hence, complex and mixed sentences are formed by using these conjunctions.
Apart from this, comma isn’t used to separate subordinating clause.
Examples of Provided that and On condition that
Let’s see some useful examples. These examples will help you a lot to understand correct use of both conjunctions.
He can reduce his weight provided that he starts running and optimize diet.
My friend could start a business provided that bank sanctions loan.
Our team won’t lose the game provided that we work hard and implement all plans accordingly.
Pollution could be minimized on condition that developed nations work in unison with developing.
People will get adequate water provided that they start water harvesting and use less for daily activities.
Students will go outside provided that it stops raining.
They can master sociology provided that they take interest and follow instructions of teacher.
Our nation could be a developed provided that we expand our industrial base and allow foreign direct investment.
You could be a better orator on condition that you come out of anxiety.
She can’t be failed provided that she studies consistently.
These are rules and examples of subordinating conjunctions.