Language is popularly known as the vehicle of communication among the members of society. Besides, some treat it as a dress of thought in order to convey intended meaning. After all, language is the most important components of any civilization. So, to make it more effective, the proper understanding of functional role of its various basic elements are inevitable. Here, through this blog, “phrases, clauses , and sentences in english” you will get better insight about these key components.
Meaning and importance of phrases..
• Simply, phrase is a group of words without finite verb.
• Unlike clause and sentence, it is only used to express certain information which is otherwise impossible for mere part of speech like- nouns, adjectives, adverbs, and determiners in a separate manner.
•Apart from this, phrases do not construct or make perfect sense of given information like sentences.
•Therefore, to make desired sense, its use in any sentence become unavoidable.
• Phrases can be classified in the form of –noun phrase, adjective phrases, adverb phrase, verb phrase, prepositional phrase, and infinitive phrase.
• like the role of noun, adjective, adverbs, verb, and preposition as the part of speech, these phrases too function in the sentence. For clearity, functional role of noun or adjective can be replaced by the noun or adjective phrase. It means that intention is clear
What does clause means ?
•Like phrase, clause is also a group of words but with finite verb as a predicate.
•It is more than phrase, but less than sentence. Causes have theirs own meaning but not complete like sentences.
•In order to construct complete meaning, use in sentence is essential.
• There are two types of major clauses–dependent or subordinate and independent or co-ordinate clause.
•Further, these can be classified in the –noun clause, adjective clause, adverb clause, and infinitive clause.
•Functional role of clauses is the same like part of speech in the given sentence as per the requirement.
Meaning of sentence and types.
•Sentence is also a group of words having both essential parts–subject and predicate but with complete meaning or sense. For complete meaning, it doesn’t need to borrow anything. All the three components–phrase, clause, and sentence in english language are building blocks of quality writing.
•A single sentence may contain more than one phrase or clause.
•According to the combination of more than independent clause, sentences are classified in the four types–Simple sentence, complex sentence, compound sentence, and mixed sentence.
•Simple sentence only contains single clause in the form of independent clause
•To be qualified complex sentence, it should include one independent clause and one or more dependent or subordinate clauses.
•For compound sentence, along the independent clause, there should be one or more than one co-ordinate classes.
•Finally, in the mixed sentence, both sentences complex and compound are included. It is the most complicated type of sentence. In this blog, I have tried my best to provide a better overview about phrase, cause, and sentence in english.
In the next blog, I will explain all the three components –phrase, clause, and sentence in the detailed manner with lot of examples.