Basically, in english grammar, there are two types of clauses. One is finite which is limited by tense and have separate subject. On the other hand, other is Non-finite clause which is neither limited by tense nor have separate subject but subject of the main clause. For details, let’s explore meaning and examples of non-finite clause.
Rules of use for Non-finite clause
- Non-finite clause is also a subordinating clause.
- It is introduced by either infinitive or participle
- Non-finite clause isn’t limited by tense
- It doesn’t have separate subject but subject of main clause.
- There are three forms of Non-finite clauses
Types of Non-finite clauses
- Non-finite clause with subordinating conjunctions.
- Relative Non-finite clauses.
- Non-finite clause with participle (ing & ed), and + to infinitive.
1. Non-finite clause with subordinating conjunctions
Non-finite clauses are introduced after some of the subordinating conjunctions such as while, although etc.
Examples of Non-finite clauses with subordinating conjunctions.
- Harry surprised while receiving negative feedback from his friend.
- The new training schedule, if adopted by coach, might cause inconvinence for many players.
- The truck crashed while offloading construction materials.
2.Non-finite clause with participle, and + to infinitive.
In this type, Non-finite clause is placed immediately after verbs with the subject of main clause.
Examples of Non-finite clauses with participles and infinitives
- They can’t eat standing beside the road.
- She hates to dance in the gathering.
- He never likes to get up early everyday.
- Frustrated by the teachers attitude, John left the classroom early.
3. Relative Non-finite clause
It is also called defining Non-finite clause.
It is used to describe person or thing in the more detailed manner. In the relative Non-finite clause, subject for both Non-finite and main clause remains the same.
Examples of relative Non-finite clauses
- The player having yellow T-shirt is former champion.
- The guide helping tourists suddenly resigned from job.
- The landform having lofty look is block mountain.
These are some examples of three types of Non-finite clauses. Hopefully, now, you can easily answer the earlier question “Meaning and examples of Non-finite clause ?”