Both “As well as and both….and” are known as cumulative coordinating conjunctions. They are used to introduce coordinating clause to add extra information to earlier main clause.
How to use as well as and both and Cumulative conjunction
- “Both…..And” is used to join two equal grammatical formswith plural auxiliary verbs.
- On the other hand, “As well as”is used to join two grammatical forms with great emphasis on one compares to other.
- For as well as, singular auxiliaryverb is taken.
- Generally, these conjunctions are used to join:- Two words, phrases, and coordinating or independent clauses
Use of Both… And cumulative conjunction
First of all, we will learn about the:-Both… And
- Both…. And are used to join two equal grammatical forms.
- This coordinating as well as Correlative conjunction emphasis equally on both sides.
- Plural auxiliary verb is taken. And, comma is omitted in the use of both and.
- It is used only when the parts are equal in value. Both is paired with “And”.
- Moreover, “And” acts as a coordinator for “Both”.
Some useful examples of both and cumulative conjunction
- Both global warming and climate change are threat for biodiversity.
- Oceans are both deep and vast.
- US wants both to reduce trade deficit and to increase employment through negotiations.
- She aspires both to visit US and to study there.
- Chins is both planning to boost export and trying to make bilateral agreements to generate surplus.
Further, it is limited to only positive sentences. It is not used in the negative sense.
Use of As well as cumulative conjunction
- As well as is different in meaning than “And”or Both… And.
- It is though cumulative coordinating conjunctions, it is used in the different context.
- Both… And are used to join equal value grammatical units or forms with equal emphasis.
- On the other hand, “As well as” is used to add extra emphasisin the second part.
- One thing you should bear in mind that “as well as” doesn’t make subject plural.
- Also, comma is essentialto separate the second form including “as well as” from stressed earlier form.
Some useful examples of as well as Cumulative conjunction
- Temperature, as well as soil, is very important to support life.
- Soil as well as water pollution, is dangerous for plants growth.
- China, as well as US, is capable to shape global economy.
- Fossil fuel, as well as coal, is responsible for the carbon dioxide emission.
In all the examples, you can notice that the use of comma is essential to separate the emphasised earlier grammatical form from second.
Hope, you will understand the techniques to use “Both… And”& “As well As”. After practice, you will be able to do it on yourself..